If you want to use the Lego Mindstorms EV3 software on your personal laptop you will have to install a few things. First of all the software, this link will take you to the download page. Download the file and install it.
This version of the software doesn’t come with all the sensors installed so there’s one more step to go through. You have to download and install the ultrasonic sensor block. Click here to download the block. Make sure you save it somewhere on your computer where you won’t delete it by accident. After you download it you have to activate it:
- Open the Lego Mindstorms EV3 program
- Create a new Project (and Program)
- Click Tools –> Block Import Wizard
- Click Browse and select the file (block) you just downloaded
- Click Import
- Restart the program (not your computer)
You are set up now to start using Lego Mindstorms EV3 on your personal laptop.