Go to the Arduino website to download the software, look for “Download the Arduino IDE”. Make sure you download the correct version for your Operating System.
Run the installer and open the program. You have to go through the following steps the first time you use your Arduino:
- Connect the Arduino using a USB cable
- Select the correct Arduino in the software: Tools –> Board –> Arduino/Genuino Uno
- Select the correct port: Tools –> Port –> select the USB port
You might have to select the port again if you connect a different Arduino.
Install the software
Click here for the EV3 Software. Download the file and install it.
Get the Ultrasonic Sensor plugin
Click here to download the block. Don’t delete the file after you install it:
- Open the Lego Mindstorms EV3 program
- Create a new Project (and Program)
- Click Tools –> Block Import Wizard
- Click Browse and select the file (block) you just downloaded
- Click Import
- Restart the program (not your computer)
You are set up now to start using Lego Mindstorms EV3 on your personal laptop.